As an exercise class teacher, particularly in yoga and Pilates, I have a lot of weird things run through my mind, so I thought I’d share my weirdness with my weird fellows! Is it just me..?
Yin is the type of yoga that is very soft and stretchy where we hold poses for up to 3 minutes, so it’s vital to be properly bolstered (literally) and as comfortable as possible when you move into your pose. The idea is to focus on the breath while you allow your ligaments to very gently stretch and your joints to lubricate. The mind in Yin should be clear of distractions, however, there are still times when my brain (and other body parts) lets me down:
- Oh my god, my nose is squashed
- How much longer?
- We must be done by now
- Have I forgotten to set the timer properly?
- Come on, come on, come on
- How the heck am I going to get out of this?
It can’t be just me!
Yoga and Pilates
We nearly always start with a gentle forward fold in these classes, just to warm up the spine and gently wake up the hamstrings, neck and shoulders, and it’s always at the bottom of the fold that I think…
- Should’ve trimmed my toenails
- I wonder if they can see I haven’t shaved my legs today
- When I do up salute will I have jumper fluff in my pits?
- What’s next, what’s next, what’s next – ah yes, phew…
- How many breaths did we count for on the first side?
- Shit, am I on the left, or right?
And when we do puppy pose, happy baby, child’s pose, cat to cow… you know where I’m going with this, don’t you?
- Can I hold it in?
- If I let it go, will it be quiet?
- Lord above, please let it stay in!
Definitely one of my favourite classes to teach, but also responsible for many of my brain farts due to all the counting when I’m enjoying the moves and the music!
- How long is the intro on this track – OK, shorter than I thought!
- Have we got time to fit a full ab track in?
- 3-4-5-4-5-6, wait, what?!
- Down hold-hold and up, 2&2, 4&4 – what else..?
- Has the screen frozen? What are they doing at home?!
- Wish I’d eaten my tea half an hour earlier!
Tell me I’m not the only one who’s brain runs away with them from time to time? But of course, none of it is ever evident in my classes as I’m sure my members would attest to!
Fancy joining me in class to see what weirdness your brain comes up with? I have a choice of yoga, Pilates and Pump classes that are suitable for all abilities and ages. Have a look at the timetable and prices on my Ad Astra Booking page.